What are some good sources to stay always updated on programming and the IT world? by Ashhar Hasan
Answer by Ashhar Hasan:
Places to look for resources and help.
- – Post questions on any topic and hear the opinions of experts on various topics.
- – Ask CompSci questions and get answers.
- – Free (and legal) computer science textbooks.
Places for Code Review:
- – Great place to get people’s suggestions about your code.
News and general discussion:
- – Discussion and news about Computer Programming
Questions about career and theory:
- – Discuss careers in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and related fields.
- – Pure Algorithms and DS.
Challenges and Problem Sets:
- – Weekly programming challenges of increasing difficulty. Solutions are peer reviewed and redditors can ask for the community for feedback and comments.
Language Specific Resources:
- – Specifically related to discussion about the C language.
- – Specifically related to discussion about C++.
- – Specifically related to discussion about Java.
- – Resources and dicussions about beginning to learn Java.
- – Resources and dicussions about beginning to learn Python.
- – Cool projects that you should check out on GitHub or otherwise.
- – You will eventually want to work on Linux, so try and get comfortable with it.
- – Reverse engineering code. This helps a lot in setting up a debugging mentality and can help you when you wander into OSS.
Now, for Blogs:
Try using a good RSS feed reader and subscribe to the RSS feeds of these blogs to stay up to date. RSS feeds are good to not have to remember to visit the websites each day.
- – This is the place to be when you want to know latest news and find great articles. Check out their all time top posts, monthly top posts to get an idea of what are some of the great stuff you have missed.
- – A daily bulletin of curated links related to programming. They tend to be more towards the technical side.
- – ’s awesome weblog. It is not that active nowadays, but you should check out the archives.
- – Tech blogs are great places to get to know the real world problems that organisations have to solve.
- (You can also try other blog categories they have)
- – Jeff Atwood (Created of stackoverflow and Discourse).
- – A very senior developer at Microsoft. He also has some really good social commentary to offer.
- – Scott Guthrie’s blog, another one of the great guys at Microsoft.
- – Really good place to learn about all kinds of stuff. Debugging a slow PC to making awesome applications using the XBox Kinect.
- – Paul Graham’s essays. YOU MUST READ THESE.
- – A blog that reminds us how stupid we programmers can be.
- – Another great Microsoft blog.
- – A blog of a company that does Ruby on Rails development but the blog contains good content.
- – A Googlers blog with mildy interesting content.