Knowledge: What is the most interesting fact that you know and I don't, but I should? by Kasee Sreenivas
Answer by Kasee Sreenivas:
Have you ever noticed these numbered triangles below the plastic bottles you use?
Do you know what the number inside the triangle represents?
I’ll tell you their significance.
- Number 1 inside the triangle as shown in the above picture represents the plastic is made of Polyethylene terephthalate. (PET)
This plastic is safe for single use and should never be heated.
If you observe carefully, there’ll be a message on the cover saying:
CRUSH THE BOTTLE AFTER USE.
These are commonly used for bottled water and soft drink bottles.
Please don’t use the bottle after its expiry date. The plastic disintegrates eventually after the expiry date. You’ll end up drinking water along with minute amounts of plastic which is very dangerous.
SAVE YOUR LIFE
- Number 2 inside the triangle represents the container is made of High-Density Polyethylene . These plastics can be reused and refilled.
Commonly used for detergent, shampoos containers etc.
- If you see number 3 inside the triangle, avoid the usage of that plastic immediately. They contain carcinogens (these plastics are made of PVC)
Commonly found in peanut butter jars.
- You can reuse the plastic if it has number 4 inside the triangle. These are commonly used as reusable bags especially for shopping.
Common usage: Grocery store bags, plastic wrap, dry cleaning bags, shopping bags etc.
- Number 5 inside the triangle is the safest. You’ll find it in ice creams cups, straws and syrup bottles.
Common usage: Medical storage, food storage.
- Number 6 inside the triangle is dangerous and number 7 inside the triangle is deadly. PLEASE AVOID
They are made of polystyrene and polycarbonate BISPHENOL A (BPA).
Continuous usage might lead to cancer, fatal heart diseases.
Common usage: Plastic spoons, plastic forks, water bottles (mostly used by athletes)
For those who are asking “TUPPERWARE having 7 inside the triangle, is it safe or unsafe?”
Here you go..
For those who are asking about Wine glass and fork symbol printed on the plastic container:
A wine glass and a fork symbol is an international symbol for ‘party safe’ material. The symbol identifies that the material used in the product is safe for food contact.
You can use the plastic container if it has this ‘party safe’ symbol on it but if this symbol is printed along with number 6 triangle, be cautious.
You don’t need to remember those chemical names. Just remember which numbers/symbols (inside the triangles) are safe to use and which are not.
To sum up:
I don't know whether you know this or not but you should know this 🙂
Spread the message.
SAVE YOUR LIFE. SAVE OTHERS LIVES 🙂
Now it’s your turn to educate other people 😀
Thanksfor publishing this information in and spreading the knowledge.
NOTE : For all those who asked me through inbox messages if they can use this information to publish it in their websites,
YES. You can use this information. I don’t even need credits for this answer but if you wish to give any credit for this information, give it to my Professor.
Dr. Abhijit Abhayankar.
He taught us. He cares for the environment.
The whole aim of this article is to educate people and reduce the usage of Plastic.